The Cote d’Opale (Opal Coast)
Between Calais and the Somme estuary
Montreuil (sur Mer)
The Chateau de Montreuil welcomes you only two steps away from the ruins of the orifinal Chateau and its Citadel, which is nicknamed the « Little Carcassonne of the North ». Do not hesitate to stroll along the 3 km long ramparts path and admire the exceptionel views out over the countryside and valleys. Dating from the 16th century, they were consolidated in 1675 by the architect Vauban ; the Museum de France Roger Rodière retraces the 800 years of the Citadel and will take you right in to the heart of history.
Don't forget to also see the church "l’abbatiale Saint-Saulve" the chapel "chapelle de l’Hôtel Dieu" and the numerous artisan shops in Montreuil.
In summer, in August, don't miss the Festival Les Malins Plaisirs : Actors and actresses, singers, acrobats, jugglers, magicians, musicians… will play outside in the evening - a colourful spectacle indeed.
At the end of July and beginning of August each year, Victor Hugo will pay us a visit ! The son et lumiere outdoor show of "Les Misérables" takes place directly opposite our house in the Roma Citadel !
And finally, each 14th of July, come and grab a bargain at the town's famous brocante or junk/antiques fair of Montreuil.
The Cote d'Opale (Opal Coast)
At only 18 km from Chateau de Montreuil, the Cote d’Opale (Opal Coast) and the lovely long beaches await you. Between sand dunes, estuarys and cliff sides, many sporting activites are available : Swimmig, canoe- kayaking, fishing, paddle, kite surfing, kite flying, sand sailing, horse riding and polo…
Don't miss to visit some of the best sites of the Cote d’Opale (Opal coast) :
- Le Touquet (17 km) : Famous and elegant resort situated at the estuary of the Canche river and where you will be able to walk alo the long sandy beach. Explore also the light house and museum, walk the streets and window shop…
- Etaples (13 km) : Explore this authentic fishing town. The fish market, on the quai of the port, is not to be missed (morning only) : Directly from the port, the fishermen's wives sell the produce fished during the night, before being rushed off to Boulogne.
- Berck sur Mer (15 km) : A nice stroll along the front to the nautical port, you might just catch sight of a colony of seals, usually 2h30 before low tide. Explore also the Baie d’Authie, with its lighthouse, the museum of Opale-Sud, and wriggle your toes in the sandy beach for a while… In April, you will see the marvellous display of kites on the beach International meeting of kite flying.
- Bagatelle fun park in Merlimont (16 km) : Lying between Berck sur Mer and Le Touquet, this fun park will enthrall the whole family.
- Boulogne sur Mer (38 km) : Visit the biggest fishing port in France ! The nautical museum "Nausicaá", the ramparts, the cathedral in the old town, the museums and bell towers…
- Nausicaa, in Boulogne sur Mer (41 km) : Discover all the secrets of the sea and its inhabitants ! Some 36 000 species are on show in the 40 aquariums of this "Center of the sea " museum, among others, several sharks, tortoises, penguins and crocodiles. Special events are programmed throughout the year.
- Les Deux Caps (65 km) Cap Gris nez et Cap Blanc nez : between Boulogne sur Mer and Calais, this important cliff top site regroup the cap Gris Nez et le cap Blanc Nez, two cliff tops that face England, where on a clear day, you will pick out the White Cliffs of Dover, and where numerous species of birds have chosen to colonise.
The Cote d’Opale (Opal Coast) and the Pas de Calais have become a great destintation for golfers : The area has 9 magnificent golf courses ! Nearest ones to Chateau de Montreuil, are the following golf courses :
- Hardelot Golf course (25 km) : 2 golf courses (5929 m – par 73) The pine forest course if classified among one of the most technical courses in Europe. the Dunes course (5713 m – par 72) is made up of rolling hills with exceptional views at each summit.
- Le Touquet Golf Club (16 km) : 3 course are proposed here : The Forest course (5827 m – par 71), The Sea Course (6407 m – par 72) and the Manor Course (2817 m – par 35).
- The Golf course in Nampont Saint Martin (12 km) : Two lovely courses (and the closest to Montreuil at only 12kmaway) : The Swans (5859 m – par 72) and the Belvedere (5275 m – par 70)
- Belle Dune Golf Course (24 km) : in the Baie de Somme, a lovely course (5883 m – par 71) implanted in the sand dunes.
Tourism in nord pas de calais area
Lovely walks, horse back rides and bicycling in the forests or countryside or beside the sea, a stroll around the ramparts from directly in front of the hotel, shooting parties and polo… : We will be happy to advise you of the nicest places to visit throughout your stay, so that you can enjoy some pleasurable moments exploring the area.
Visits nearby :
- The gardens and abbey at Valloire (20 km) : 5 gardens to visit at any time of the year, all landscaped around the wonderful old cisterian abbey
- The pottery works in Desvres (30 km) : Reputed for its faience and ceramics, the town has many little factorys and shops that have grouped together, and you will find them in the "Village des Metiers d’Art". Some more specialised artisan places can be found in La Maison de la Céramique, and the Musée de la Belle Epoque de la Faïence de Desvres.
- The historical batlle fields of Azincourt (43 km) and Crecy (30 km)
- The moated castle at Rambures (72 km)
- The underground city of Naours (88 km) : Unique grottos, and an immense underground trail to discover in Picardie